The Vigo’s village was the origin place of a relevant feudal corporation, which controlled the Vigo’s Fortress and some nearby places, probably linked to Cadolingi counts and then to Alberti counts
During 1179 the Vigo’s Lords recognized the political authority of the Bologna Municipality and assured it about their loyalty and obedience. The absidal wall is the only thing that stands to remind the ancient Romanesque Santo Stefano’s Church; indeed the building was rebuilt in 1598 and then raised up and enlarged. The sixteenth-century bell tower was made and crowned with spires in 1908.
The remaining Romanesque apse wall was, in the wrong way, considered by many to be an external tower of the medieval defensive fortress system that once stood on top of the so-called “Vigo’s Stone”.